The critically acclaimed Iranian filmmaker Majid Barzegar (1973) has been a major force behind the development and production of a great number of Iranian independent short and feature films.
As a writer, director and producer most of Majid Barzegar’s films and short films have been awarded and showcased at prestigious international film festivals including Berlinale, San Sebastian, Rotterdam, São Paulo and Thessaloniki and many more.
‘A VERY ORDINARY CITIZEN’ (2015) written and directed by Majid Barzegar has been awarded the Sepanta award at the IFF San Fransisco. ‘PARVIZ’ (2012) has won numerous awards including the Jury’s Special Mention Award of the 2012 San Sebastian International Film Festival and the NETPAC Award at the 2012 Asiatica Film Mediale, Rome, Italy. ‘RAINY SEASONS’ (2010) has won the Jury’s Special Mention Award at the 34th Sao Paulo International Film Festival in Brazil.
As an independent producer Majid Barzegar’s films have attracted a great deal of attention. Rainy Pictures, Barzegar’s film production company was founded in 1998 with the aim of developing and producing imaginative feature films as well as original short films. ‘A MINOR LEAP DOWN’ (2015) produced by Majid Barzegar, has recently won the respectable FIPRESCI prize in the Panorama section of Berlinale 2015. ‘MAMIROO’ (2015) another film produced by Rainy pictures has won the FIPRESCI prize at 20th Busan. ‘VALDERRAMA’ (2016) latest film produced by Majid Barzegar has been nominated for the beast feature debut at the Berlinale 2016.
Barzegar has also been the president of the board of the Iranian Short Film Association (ISFA) from 2008 to 2016.
As a writer, director and producer
- THE POT AND THE OAK/ 90 min/ Director: Kiarash Anvari / Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2016/ (currently in post-production)
- VALDERRAMA/ 90 min/ Director: Abbas Amini/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2015/ (currently in post-production)
- A VERY ORDINARY CITIZEN/ 100 min/ Director: Majid Barzegar/ Producer: Majid Modarresi – Saeed Armand with financial support of the « Hubert Bals Fund », Rotterdam International Film Festival/ Iran/ 2015 /
- IMMORTAL/ 91 min/ Director: Hadi Mohaghegh/ Producer: Majid Barzegar. Reza Mohaghegh/ Iran/ 2015/
- A MINOR LEAP DOWN / 86 min/ Director: Hamed Rajabi/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2015
- PARVIZ/ 104 min/ Director: Majid Barzegar/ Producer: Saeed Armand – Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2012
- RAINY SEASONS/ 86 min/ Director and Co-Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2010
- BUBBLE/ 90 min/ Director: Saman Estaraki/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2010
- TANAVOLI ACCORDING TANAVOLI / 45 min/ Director: Leila Naghdi Pari/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2005
- GOODBYE PARTY/ 16 min/ Director: Hamed Rajabi/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2006
- THE ALLEYS OF THE WIND/ 15 min/ Director and Co-Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 1998
- THE OLD AND DOLEFUL BALLAD OF ASMAR’S RAINY AFTERNOON / 30 min/ Director and Co-Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2000
- SILENCE/ 16 min/ Director: Leila Naghdi Pari/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2003
- THE CONVERSATION/ 18 min/ Director: Hamed Rajabi/ Producer: Majid Barzegar/ Iran/ 2004
- WALKING IN THE FOG – 2003
- THE OLD MAN AND THE DOLEFUL BALLAD OF ASMAR’S RAINY AFTERNOON – 2000
- THE ALLEYS OF THE WIND – 1998
- MY HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE – 1994
- A SHORT FILM ABOUT EXPECTANCE – 1993
- THE MOVEMENT OF THE WORD LIFE – 1992
- DARK LIKE A STRANGE LAND – 1991
- LIFE ON THE SCREEN – 1990
A VERY ORDINARY CITIZEN (2015)
- 51st Chicago International Film Festival, USA. October 15-29, 2015. « International Feature Film Competition » section.
- 56th Thessaloniki International Film Festival, Greece. November 6-15, 2015. « Open Horizons » section.
- 20th Kerala International Film Festival, India. December 4-11, 2015. « World Cinema » section.
- 5th Iranian Film Festival, Prague, Czech Republic. January 13-17, 2016. « Special Screenings » section.
- Edinburgh Iranian Film Festival, Scotland, UK. February 19-21, 2016. Venue: Filmhouse Cinema, « Non Competitive Festival »
- 20th BUSAN International Film Festival – New Currents Competition
A MINOR LEAP DOWN (2015)
- Winner of: FIPRESCI’s Award at the 65th International Filmfestspiele Berlinale-Panorama, Germany, 2015.
- 65th Internationale Filmfestspiele Berlinale-Panorama, Germany. February 05-15, 2015.
18th Shanghai International Film Festival, 上海国际电影节 June 13-21, 2015. « Spectrum » section.
- Festival Internacional de Cine de Valencia-Cinema Jove, Spain. June 19-26, 2015. « Official Competition » section.
- 51st Pesaro International Film Festival, Italy. June 20-27, 2015. « Pesaro Nuovo Cinema Competition ».
- Jury’s Special Mention Award “for its compelling and harmonious storytelling, featuring an atypical and constantly surprising anti-hero” – the 60th San Sebastian International Film Festival, Spain
- NETPAC Award – the 13th Asiatica film mediale, Rome, Italy
- Silver Apricot – the Yerevan International Film Festival, Armenia
- Sepanta Award for Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Performance, Best Cinematography – the 6th Iranian Film Festival San Francisco, USA
- Suvarna Chakoram / Golden Crow Pheasant for Best Film – the 18th Kerala International Film Festival, India
- Special Mention Award – the 7th edition of the Iranian Society of Film Writers and Reviewers
- Best Performance by an Actor – the 13th Dhaka International Film Festival, Bangladesh
- Special Mention Award by Film Writers and Reviewers Jury_ “With this prize we wanted to reward the subtle portrait, highlighted by eloquent silences, of a man adhering to social norms. The director skilfully underlines the intolerance of an apparently harmonious community.” – the 9th International Oriental Film Festival of Geneva, Switzerland
- Jury’s Special Mention Award – The 12th edition of the Imagineindia International Film Festival (IIFF), which took place in Madrid (17-31 May, 2014) and Barcelona (July 2014).
- GOLDEN APRICOT Yerevan International Film Festival, Armenia 2013.
- 60th San Sebastian International Film Festival, Spain 2012
- 13th Asiatica Film Mediale, Roma, Italia 2012
- 36th São Paulo International Film Festival, Brazil 2012
- 53rd Thessaloniki International Film Festival, Greece 2012
- 5th Bangalore International Film Festival, India 2012
- 42nd International Film Festival Rotterdam, the Netherlands 2013
- 36th Göteborg International Film Festival, Sweden 2013
- Focus on Freedom of Expression in the Arts, Oslo, Norway, 2013
- Middle East Now Film Festival, Firenze, Italy 2013
- 16th Shanghai International Film Festival, China 2013
- Festival Cinéma(s) d’Iran , Paris, France 2013
- GOLDEN APRICOT Yerevan International Film Festival, Armenia 2013.
- Fukuoka International Film Festival, Fukuoka, Japan 2013
- 15th annual Iranian Film Festival in Emory University, Atlanta, USA 2013
- 6th Iranian Film Festival San Francisco, USA 2013
- 3rd Iranian Film Festival, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide, Melbourne/Australia 2013
- Diaspora International Film Festival, Toronto 2013
- 17th Tallinn Black Nights International Film Festival, Estonia 2013
- JOGJA-NETPAC Asian Film Festival, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 2013
- 18th Kerala International Film Festival, India 2013
- 11th Chennai International Film Festival, India 2013.
- 3rd Prague Iranian Film Festival, Czech Republic 2014
- 13th Dhaka International Film Festival, Bangladesh 2014
- Boston Festival of Film From Iran, Museum of Fine Arts Boston, USA 2014
- 18th Iranian Film Festival, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington DC, USA 2014
- 24th Festival of Films from Iran, Chicago, Gene Siskel Film Center, USA 2014
- 9th International Oriental Film Festival of Geneva, Switzerland 2014
- Annual Celebration of Iranian Cinema, UCLA Film & Television Archive, Los Angeles, CA, USA 2014
- 13th Imagineindia International Film Festival Madrid, Spain 2014
- SineMardin International Film Festival, Mardin, Turkey 2014.
- Best First Film – The Iranian Alliance of Motion Picture Guilds Awards, 2010
- Best Director – Didor Film Festival, Tajikistan 2010
- Jury’s Special Mention Award – The 34th São Paulo International Film Festival, Brazil 2010
- Tiger Awards Nomination – Rotterdam International Film Festival, the Netherlands 2011
- Montreal World Film Festival, 2010
- Denver Film Festival, 2010
- Fajr Film Festival, Iran 2010
- Mardel Plata Film Festival, Argentina 2010
- Titanic Film Festival, Budapest 2010
- 34th São Paulo International Film Festival
- Rotterdam International Film Festival, 2010
- Pan-Asia film Festival, London 2010
- Zlin Film Festival, Czech Republic 2011
- Cine Lumiere, London 2011
- Iranian Film Festival, Australia 2010
- Durban International Film Festival, South Africa 2011
- Oulu International Children’s and Youth Film Festival, Sweden 2011
- Persian International Film Festival, Australia 2011
- Barbakan International Film Festival, Slovakia 2012